Surgicalcriticalcare.net is an online, interactive, educational resource based at the Surgical Critical Care Fellowship program at Orlando Regional Medical Center. It is open to any physician, medical student, or allied healthcare provider interested in the discipline of Surgical Critical Care.
Welcome to SurgicalCriticalCare.net!
SurgicalCriticalCare.net is designed to provide rapid access to essential information for caring for patients with critical illness. Please feel free to contact the webmaster with any suggestions.
The Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at Orlando Regional Medical Center is currently accepting fellowship applications for the 2015-2016 academic year for both Surgical Critical Care and Acute Care Surgery. For details regarding the application process, please click on the "Fellowship" tab. For any questions, please contact the webmaster.
The American Board of Surgery accredited Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at Orlando Regional Medical Center has been internationally recognized since its inception in 1997. Our fellows receive state-of-the-art training in patient resuscitation and management as well as intensive care unit & trauma center administration, research, evidence-based medicine guidelines, statistics, and quality improvement. Many of our fellows have gone on to direct intensive care units and trauma centers around the world.
Orlando Regional Medical Center has recently been accredited as an Acute Care Surgery Fellowship site by the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST). The Acute Care Surgery fellowship will include rotations in acute care surgery, trauma, burns, thoracic surgery, hepatobiliary surgery, vascular surgery, orthopedic surgery, and neurological surgery. Fellows will also continue to receive extensive training in surgical critical care, ICU & trauma center administration, research, evidence-based medicine guidelines, statistics, and quality improvement. Acute Care Surgery Fellows will complete the American Board of Surgery accredited Surgical Critical Care Fellowship before proceeding to the Acute Care Surgery Fellowship.
Surgicalcriticalcare.net has gone mobile!. Go to www.surgicalcriticalcare.net/mobile on your smartphone and link web-based applications to your home page including key resuscitation checklists.
Latest EBM Guidelines
|Matthew Johnston MD presented his research entitled "Increased Body Mass Index Should Not Prevent Open Abdominal Decompression in the Trauma Population" at the 42nd Clinical Care Congress of the Society of Critical Care Medicine, February 18-23rd, 2013, in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
New Instructional Videos
The Surgical Critical Care team at Orlando Regional Medical Center, in conjunction with the Valencia College School of Respiratory Care, has created an online video illustrating percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy insertion. This is the first of a variety of videos that will teach the proper technique for common bedside ICU procedures. Many thanks to the Valencia Productions staff for their superb work in producing this instructional video.
Additional instructional videos are currently in production.
Recent publications from the department...
- Cheatham ML;Safcsak K;Sugrue M;. Long-Term Implications of Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome: Physical, Mental, and Financial. Am Surg 2011; 77 Supplement:78-82. PubMed link
- Smith C;Cheatham ML;. Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome in the Medical Patient. Am Surg 2011; 77 Supplement:67-71. PubMed link
- Bjorck M;Petersson U;Bjarnason T;Cheatham ML;. Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome in Nontrauma Surgical Patients. Am Surg 2011; 77 Supplement:62-66. PubMed link
- Ouellet JF;Leppaniemi A;Ball CG;Cheatham ML;D'Amours S;Kirkpatrick AW;. Alternatives to formal abdominal decompression. Am Surg 2011; 77 Supplement:51-57. PubMed link
- Malbrain ML;Ameloot K;Gillebert C;Cheatham ML;. Cardiopulmonary Monitoring in Intra-abdominal Hypertension. Am Surg 2011; 77 Supplement:23-30. PubMed link
- Malbrain ML;Cheatham ML;. Definitions and Pathophysiological Implications of Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome. Am Surg 2011; 77 Supplement:6-11. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;Safcsak K;. Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome: The Journey Forward. Am Surg 2011; 77 Supplement:1-5. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;Safcsak K;Fiscina C;Ducoin C;Smith HG;Promes JT;Lube MW;. Advanced age may limit the survival benefit of open abdominal decompression. Am Surg 2011; 77:856-861. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;Safcsak K;. Percutaneous Catheter Decompression in the Treatment of Elevated Intra-abdominal Pressure. Chest 2011; 140:1428-1435. PubMed link
- Friedell ML;Nelson LD;Marano MA;. A primer on Caribbean medical schools and students: APDS surgery panel session. J Surg Educ 2011; 68:328-332. PubMed link
- Clark JM;Friedell ML;Gupta BR;Davenport WC;Amponsah K;. Perioperative compartment syndrome of the hand. Am Surg 2011; 77:116-117. PubMed link
- Promes JT;Safcsak K;Pavliv L;Voss B;Rock A;. A prospective, multicenter, randomized, double-blind trial of IV ibuprofen for treatment of fever and pain in burn patients. J Burn Care Res 2011; 32:79-90. PubMed link
- Gesin G;Kane-Gill SL;Dasta JF;Birrer KL;Kolnik LJ;Cheatham ML;. Diazepam as a component of goal-directed sedation in critically ill trauma patients. J Crit Care 2011; 26:122-126. PubMed link
- Friedell ML;. Starting a simulation and skills laboratory: what do I need and what do I want?. J Surg Educ 2010; 67:112-121. PubMed link
- Lube MW;Borman KR;Fulbright AE;Friedell ML;. Retrospective evaluation of residents' American Board of Surgery In-Service Training Examination (ABSITE) scores as a tool to evaluate changes made in a basic science curriculum. J Surg Educ 2010; 67:167-172. PubMed link
- Morris PE;Promes JT;Guntupalli KK;Wright PE;Arons MM;. A multi-center, randomized, double-blind, parallel, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the efficacy, safety, and pharmacokinetics of intravenous ibuprofen for the treatment of fever in critically il. Crit Care 2010; 14:R125-. PubMed link
- Steingrub JS;Cheatham ML;Woodward B;Wang HT;Effron MB;. A prospective, observational study of Xigris Use in the United States (XEUS). J Crit Care 2010; 25:660-16. PubMed link
- Friedell ML;. The general surgery residency at Orlando Health: past, present, and future. Am Surg 2010; 76:7-10. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;Safcsak K;. Is the evolving management of intra-abdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome improving survival?. Crit Care Med 2010; 38:402-407. PubMed link
- Freeland M;King E;Safcsak K;Durham R;. Diagnosis of appendicitis in pregnancy. Am J Surg 2009; 198:753-758. PubMed link
- Laituri C;Teixeira A;Lube MW;Seims A;Cravens J;. Trauma laparotomy: evaluating the necessity of histological examination. Am Surg 2009; 75:1124-1127. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;De WJ;Kirkpatrick A;Sugrue M;Malbrain ML;Ivatury RR;Balogh Z;D'Amours S;. Criteria for a diagnosis of abdominal compartment syndrome. Can J Surg 2009; 52:315-316. PubMed link
- De Keulenaer BL;Cheatham ML;De Waele JJ;Kimball EJ;Powell B;Davis WA;Jenkins IR;. Intra-abdominal pressure measurements in lateral decubitus versus supine position. Acta Clin Belg 2009; 64:210-215. PubMed link
- De Waele JJ;Cheatham ML;Malbrain ML;Kirkpatrick AW;Sugrue M;Balogh Z;Ivatury R;De KB;Kimball EJ;. Recommendations for research from the International Conference of Experts on Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome. Acta Clin Belg 2009; 64:203-209. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;De Waele JJ;De L;De KB;Widder S;Kirkpatrick AW;Cresswell AB;Malbrain M;Bodnar Z;Mejia-Mantilla JH;Reis R;Parr M;Schulze R;Puig S;. The impact of body position on intra-abdominal pressure measurement: a multicenter analysis. Crit Care Med 2009; 37:2187-2190. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;. Nonoperative management of intraabdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome. World J Surg 2009; 33:1116-1122. PubMed link
- Pappas PA;Cheatham ML;Quijada P;O'Leary T;Carlan SJ;. Successful early fascial closure of an open abdomen during pregnancy. Am Surg 2009; 75:183-184. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;. Abdominal compartment syndrome. Curr Opin Crit Care 2009; 15:154-162. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;. Abdominal compartment syndrome: pathophysiology and definitions. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Me 2009; 17:10-. PubMed link
- Seims AD;Lube MW;. Incarceration of a sessile uterine fibroid in an umbilical hernia during pregnancy. Hernia 2008; :-. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;Safcsak K;. Longterm impact of abdominal decompression: a prospective comparative analysis. J Am Coll Surg 2008; 207:573-579. PubMed link
- Bhullar IS;Braman R;Block EF;. Serial hemoglobin levels play no significant role in the decision-making process of nonoperative management of blunt splenic trauma. Am Surg 2008; 74:876-878. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;Fowler J;. Measuring intra-abdominal pressure outside the ICU: validation of a simple bedside method. Am Surg 2008; 74:806-808. PubMed link
- Fowler JS;Cheatham ML;Sandler B;Padron A;. Traumatic perforation of a duodenal diverticulum. Am Surg 2008; 74:781-782. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;. The death of George Washington: an end to the controversy?. Am Surg 2008; 74:770-774. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;Fowler J;Pappas P;. Subcutaneous linea alba fasciotomy: a less morbid treatment for abdominal compartment syndrome. Am Surg 2008; 74:746-749. PubMed link
- Napolitano LM;Fabian TC;Kelly KM;Bailey JA;Block EF;Langholff W;Enny C;Corwin HL;. Improved survival of critically ill trauma patients treated with recombinant human erythropoietin. J Trauma 2008; 65:285-297. PubMed link
- Friedell ML;Clark JM;Graham DA;Isley MR;Zhang XF;. Cerebral oximetry does not correlate with electroencephalography and somatosensory evoked potentials in determining the need for shunting during carotid endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg 2008; 48:601-606. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;. Are children really just small adults?. Crit Care Med 2008; 36:2215-2216. PubMed link
- Diaz JJ;Bokhari F;Mowery NT;Acosta JA;Block EF;Bromberg WJ;Collier BR;Cullinane DC;Dwyer KM;Griffen MM;Mayberry JC;Jerome R;. Guidelines for management of small bowel obstruction. J Trauma 2008; 64:1651-1664. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;. Intraabdominal pressure monitoring during fluid resuscitation. Curr Opin Crit Care 2008; 14:327-333. PubMed link
- Cheatham ML;. Resuscitation end points in severe sepsis: central venous pressure, mean arterial pressure, mixed venous oxygen saturation, and... intra-abdominal pressure. Crit Care Med 2008; 36:1012-1014. PubMed link
- Fakhre GP;Berland T;Lube MW;. One hundred consecutive splenectomies for trauma: is histologic evaluation really necessary?. J Trauma 2008; 64:1139-1141. PubMed link
- Wroblewski RL;Smith HG;. Dye pack injury causing third-degree burns. J Burn Care Res 2008; 29:406-407. PubMed link
- Anderson DR;Lube MW;. Jugular venous air after basilar skull fracture. J Trauma 2008; 64:847-. PubMed link